In 1892, a group of believers attending Bloomfield Baptist Church in Macon became interested in starting their own church. They began praying for God to show them where the church should be built. One of these believers, Mrs. Lizzie Denton, had a dream where God showed her that the church should be located at Bartlett and Berry Streets.
The Christians met in a little house next door until a church could be built. Sunday School and worship services started in the new church on October 12, 1892. The founders were three ministers: Revs. H.C. Clay, H. Woods, and Edgar Williams; three ordained deacons, Cy Williams, Will Denton, and Charlie Denton, Sr.; and nine members with letters: Sisters Annie Simmons, Mattie Kelsey, Ida Cliett, Mary McNiece, Jo Williams, Sue Johnston, Susan Johnson, Lula Denton and Lizzie Denton.
The late Rev. Ruffin Williams was the first pastor, with Deacon Will Denton as the first Chairman of Deacons and Superintendent of the Sunday School. Unfortunately a fire destroyed the church so the members held meetings under “a bush arbor” on this site until the church was rebuilt.
Rev. R. W. Odom was the second pastor and served until his death. There was a new beginning under his pastorate.
Great accomplishments were achieved under the third pastor, Reverend Frank Howard.
The fourth pastor, Rev. E.J. Calhoun, who is buried on the church grounds brought great recognition to our church. He was a prolific preacher who was in great demand throughout our city and state. People would come from near and far to hear him preach, and wherever he went he drew a crowd. Rev. Calhoun served 24 years until his death August 28, 1947. Lizzie Chapel continued to grow and make progress under his leadership.
In 1948 God placed Rev. Ellis Sylvanus Evans, Sr. as pastor. During his tenure as pastor the church grew with the many ministries Rev. Evans developed and oversaw, which brought many new members into the body of Christ. Because of the tremendous growth occurring under the Evan’s administration, the church was forced to add additional space to the building. Classrooms, administrative offices, assembly rooms, a kitchen and fellowship hall were added to handle the growth and to effectively discharge the ministry obligations. Rev. Evans served from 1948 until his retirement in 1992
April 11, 1993 God saw fit to send us a young, energetic, spirit filled pastor and preacher, Rev. Ronald Gene Toney. For the first time we had a full time pastor. The church continues to grow and develop in membership and ministries. Since Rev. Toney’s arrival, the Lord has blessed us to accomplish the following:
- Organization of the Angel Choir,
- Mass Choir, Praise Team,
- Teens in Action,
- Nurses’ Ministry,
- Athletic Ministry,
- Courtesy Ministry,
- Pastor’s Cabinet,
- Singles’ Ministry,
- Ministers’ Spouses,
- Substance Abuse Ministry,
- Adoption of Hamilton Elementary School,
- Re-organized the Mission In Action,
- Board of Christian Education,
- Laymen’s Ministry.
- Early Morning Worship Service begins at 8:00 am on Sundas;.
- Sponsorship of Tapio, a small community in Haiti;
- Ordained Deacons: Troy Scott, Alvin Randall, Jr., Bobby Edwards, Gregory Rhymes, Rodney Lockett and Herman Lockett, Sr.;
- Deacons joining in the labor: Bobby Jordan, Sr., Tommy Penix, Sr. and N.R. Cubit;
- Deacons in Training: Moses Budrage, Gregory Cubit, Michael Mims, Leroy Moore, Rex Sampson, Marvin Ware, Ronnie Wilder, Willie White, Curtis Worsham;
- Ministers joining in the labor: Reverends. Kimberly Brooks and Jerri Green; Ministers Licensed: The Reverends Michael Rogers, Rodney Lockett, James Graham, Gwengale Parker and Kelda Cubit;
- Mrs. Johnnie Collins was named Mother of the Church;
- Publishes monthly newsletter, “The Connection”;
- four acres of land purchased;
- The establishment of MANNA Ministries, Inc., a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that serves the community at large;
- Started Educational Trainings:
- New Members Class
- School of Nurture
- Church In Study (CIS)
- Workshops, Seminars, and Conferences
Over 435 members have united with Lizzie Chapel since Rev. Toney’s ministry began. With the construction of our new sanctuary, we are now able to seat 800 worshippers and 250 comfortably in a banquet setting. We have added 12 new classrooms and an administrative wing to conduct the church’s business. There is a Fellowship lobby, and reception lounge at the church entrance. The new facility will allow us to continue “Proclaiming Christ, Preparing Lives, and Preserving Families.”
The success we now enjoy as a church family is directly related to the administrations of our former pastors and leaders. There is a historical connection that is having apositive effects on who we are and how we effectively minister today. Because of the sacrifices of their time, talent and treasure we stand as a great church postured to continue the legacy of love and service that was handed to us. To celebrate who we are is to celebrate who we have been. And it is our fervent prayer that the contributions we make today will have as lasting an impact on future generations as the contributions of our predecessors.
To God be the glory!